Roof-based sound barriers, commonly known as rooftop noise barriers or acoustical barriers, prove effective in alleviating a range of noise issues stemming from mechanical equipment. They are also valuable when addressing noise from external sources, like traffic Here’s how rooftop noise barriers can help address different noise concerns:
1. Industrial Noise Mitigation:
- Industrial facilities often generate significant noise, which can be a concern for nearby residential or commercial buildings.
- Rooftop noise barriers can serve as a barrier against noise emanating from nearby factories, warehouses, or other industrial sites, reducing its impact on the neighboring building’s occupants.
2. Mechanical Equipment Noise:
- Rooftop noise barriers can also mitigate noise from HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) systems, generators, or other mechanical equipment located on the roof.
- They provide a sound-absorbing or sound-blocking layer to prevent mechanical noise from infiltrating the building.
3. Environmental Noise Control:
- Rooftop noise barriers are effective for addressing general environmental noise concerns, such as sirens, horns, and other unpredictable noise sources.
When designing and installing rooftop noise barriers, consider the following:
- Material Selection: Choose sound-absorbing and sound-blocking materials that are appropriate for the specific noise concerns. Common materials include acoustic panels, barriers made of composite materials, or green roofs with sound-absorbing vegetation.
- Proper Installation: Ensure that the rooftop noise barriers are correctly installed to effectively block or absorb noise. Proper sealing and securing are essential.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance is necessary to ensure the ongoing effectiveness of rooftop noise barriers. Check for wear and tear, damage, or deterioration and address any issues promptly.
Noise barriers should be designed and installed in consultation with material acoustical experts. JA Brown. works with acoustic consultants who can assist in product selection.